Water Damage Is One of the Most Common Reasons for Business Loss
3 Common Reasons for Commercial Water Damage
Water damage is one of the most common reasons for insurance claims made by businesses. Take just a few minutes to learn more about damaged pipes and other sources for water trouble, as well as some steps you can take to reduce risk for your building in Pelican Marsh, FL.
Commercial building water damage usually comes down to one of three main reasons:
1. Winter Troubles. Frozen temperatures can be a disaster to pipes indoors and out. Ice can also build up on roofs and block drainage channels.
2. Sewage and Drainage. Sewer systems are the unseen heroes of a commercial building, but if they aren’t getting routine attention they can cause big problems. Blockages, wear and foundation settling can all cause trouble with this important system.
3. Poor Pipe Maintenance. Many damaged pipes start as small leaks that are best addressed early to prevent large-scale floods. Routine inspections of pipes for symptoms like drips, excessive moisture and mold can be useful to catch problems before they get big.
Knowing where the most common problems are can help you take steps now to reduce the risk of damaged pipes in your building.
Simple Steps to Reduce Water Damage Risk
If you could make just five changes to help reduce your risk of flooding, these are the ones to give you make the biggest impact:
1. Keep heat on throughout the winter, at a minimum of 55°F.
2. Insulate exposed pipes.
3. Keep gutters and roof drainage clear of debris.
4. Know how to shut-off the main water supply.
5. Regularly inspect pipes appliances, and don’t ignore small leaks.
Knowledge is Power
It really doesn’t take long to learn a little about the most likely areas for leaking pipes and ways to reduce your risk for damage. Sometimes damage is sudden and unexpected, so if you need water cleanup in your building you can count on a commercial building restoration expert to help you recover.