Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Being aware of what steps you can take after a fire on your residential or commercial property can be very difficult. Your highest priority should always be the safety of you and others on your property, so knowing what to avoid doing after a fire is essential. Down below, our SERVPRO of North Naples team has compiled a list of do's and don'ts after a fire. Take a few minutes to review these Fire Damage Tips to feel better prepared in the event of a fire on your Naples property.
If you are in need of our emergency fire cleanup services, don't hesitate and give us a call today!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (239) 592-0100
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.